Case studies are some times used in law classes and some times in public relations classes, for example.
After a case is presented there is a common method used in PR courses.
- Define/describe the PR problem.
- Give ways for addressing or solving this problem.
- List resources needed for implementing solution(s).
- Give a timetable for implementation.
- State expected impact of solution.
- How did you use intercultural skills?
Intercultural skills to keep in mind when working through the international P.R. case
- Be mindful
- Be thoughtful, aware of differences
- Be patience
- It may be difficult at first
- Be open-minded
- Consider other ways of doing things, other views
- Be tolerance of ambiguity
- Things may not make sense. Be comfortable with uncertainty
Now, let's do a case.
Check out the following news videos about three recent incidents between the U.S. military and the people of Afghanistan. As you are watching these, starting thinking about the above info. What would you do to rebuild a better relationship between the U.S. military and the people of Afghanistan?
Quran Burning Sparks Angry Afghan Protest (Associated Press - Feb. 2012)
Click on the following links for the two other news videos. Sorry, can't embed them here.
- YouTube - Pentagon denounces Marine urination video (CBS Evening News - Jan. 2012)
- YouTube - Afghan Massacre: Video From Shooting Scene (ABC Evening News - Mar. 2012)
What would you do to rebuild a better relationship between the U.S. military and the people of Afghanistan?
Also, now go through the method given above (i.e., 1. Define/describe the P.R. problem, etc.). Also don't forget to think about how you'd use your intercultural skills in doing this P.R. work.
Share this post with others. See the Twitter, Facebook and other buttons below.
Please follow, add, friend or subscribe to help support this blog.
See more about me at my web site WilliamHartPhD.com.