Sunday, October 14, 2012

MassMedia: The Power of Song [AUD]

If you are interested...

In one of my grad classes we've been talking about the power of song, the rhetoric of song, etc.

That discussion has lead to mention of some specific songs about power issues, about social and political issues.

I've compiled this play list based on a grad student's recommendations. Thanks Terry.




What would a rhetorical criticism paper of this set of songs look like?  What would it contain?
Notice how the playlist begins and ends.


Share this post with others. See the Twitter, Facebook and other buttons below.
Please follow, add, friend or subscribe to help support this blog.
See more about me at my web site WilliamHartPhD.com.






5 comments:

  1. Dr. Hart,

    I like your playlist, but I would suggest that you listen to Gil Scott-Heron's version of "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised". I think you'll appreciate some of the references/inferences. I've provided a link to a Youtube version below.

    http://www.listentoyoutube.com/process.php

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, I'm familiar with it, but I could not find that version on Spotify for the Spotify playlist.

      Delete
  2. In terms of more recent music that would e a good fit into this genre, I'd suggest "Skid Valley" by Roots Manuva (from the album "4everevolution") which highlights social upheaval in London. Another is Michael Piffington & Joey Ax's "I Need a Dollar" that became popular during the Occupy Wall Street movement.

    Other more recent songs and their protest targets include:

    -Talking at the Same Time (Tom Waits): Socio-economics
    -The land I Love (Robert Horn): The war in Iraq
    -Wake Me Up When September Ends (Green Day): Bush Administration
    -Running the World (Jarvis Cocker): Economic inequality
    -The Show Goes On (Lupe Fiasco): Economic Struggle
    -Look At Me Now (Chris Brown): Some of everything???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting playlist. A few songs that I'm familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list. I grew up listening to songs like this. Unfortunately, until I was around 10 or 11, I grew up in a home with a very racist father who made sure that all the music we listened to was not only related to "black power" but was about fighting "the man". It took a while before I learned to listen to music and interpret lyrics without that particular slant. As a parent, I’ve made every effort to listen to and understand my children’s choices in music and talk to them about what their music means to them. One of my teens used to listen to “screamo” and I was surprised to find the power of the messages in his music

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.
Your comment will be reviewed.
If acceptable, it will be posted after it is carefully reviewed. The review process may take a few minutes or maybe a day or two.