Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Appifying the Classroom [VID] Sp14

Apps, apps, apps, apps.

Apps are everywhere and they have apps for nearly everything.  So, you won't be surprised to find that there are apps that are especially useful in the classroom.

In some classes, you may be asked to"put that smartphone away." However, if we want to use those apps on the smartphone, then we'll want to keep those phones out.  We can use those smartphones to make us smarter, help use learn.

Below are apps that I use in my classrooms.  I try to use apps that work across platforms (iPhone, Android, Windows, etc.).  This way all students can participate.  Oh yeah, did I mention that these apps are free.

The first app that I use is Socrative.  The Socrative website describes the app as "a smart student response system that empowers teachers to engage their classrooms through a series of educational exercises and games via smartphones, laptops, and tablets."





If you are curious, see more videos on my Appying-the-Classroom (Socrative) YouTube playlist.



The Socrative app is very useful in the classroom, but what about outside the classroom, when students are studying?  For this, I use Quizlet.  As the name implies Quizlet provides ways for students to quiz themselves on course content.  Think: flashcards on steroids.



If you are curious, see more videos on my Appyfing-the-Classroom (Quizlet) YouTube playlist.


Since much of what happens in a classroom is learning new terms, building a vocabulary in a new area, I also use some of the word games found at JeopardyLabs.

These above apps can especially be used to gamify a classroom, but more on that later in another blog post.


Share this post with others. See the Twitter, Facebook and other buttons below.
Please follow, add, friend or subscribe to help support this blog.
See more about me at my web site WilliamHartPhD.com.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.
Your comment will be reviewed.
If acceptable, it will be posted after it is carefully reviewed. The review process may take a few minutes or maybe a day or two.