What is culture?
There are hundreds of definitions of culture in the literature.
Let's use this one:
Culture is a set of shared knowledge that influences a particular group of people’s behavior (Hart).
Metaphors of Culture
- Hofstede's Computer Metaphor:
- Culture is the software of the mind.
- We are programmed by our experiences.
- Hofstede's Game Metaphor:
- Culture is "the unwritten rules of the social game."
- The Iceberg Metaphor of Culture
- "Above the waterline—what we can see; behaviors that are visible.
- Below the waterline—what we cannot see; behaviors that are not visible or that do not make sense."
|Created by Uwe Kils|
Share this post with others. See the Twitter, Facebook and other buttons below.
Please follow, add, friend or subscribe to help support this blog.
See more about me at my web site WilliamHartPhD.com.