- Recognizing a Problem or Need
- Basic and Applied Research
- Diffusion and Adoption
1. Recognizing a Problem or Need
2. Basic and Applied Research
- Basic research: gain basic scientific knowledge
- Applied research: using scientific knowledge
- Role of skunk works in organization? (Oxford Dictionary definition)
- Technology transfer: two-way exchange of tech
- Technology transfer: “two or more parties must participate in a series of communication exchanges as they seek to establish a mutual understanding about the meaning of the technology” (Rogers)
- VCR invented by Ampex, a U.S. company in late 50s
- Sold big VCRs to television stations
- Home use: They said “we’re not in that market”
- Sold rights to Sony
- And now you know the rest of the story
- Commercialization: “the production, manufacturing, packaging, marketing, and distribution of a product that embodies the innovation.” (Rogers)
- Technology cluster: “consists of one or more distinguishable elements of technology that are perceived as being interrelated closely.” (Rogers)
- e.g., computer and mouse
- e.g., mp3 player and ____________
5. Diffusion and Adoption
- More on consequences later.
See this process in the Empire of the Air?
Source: Diffusion of Innovations, 4th ed.
Share this with others. See the Twitter, FB and other buttons below.