Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Don't Forget: MLK 2.0 - The Peace Speech

After my intercultural communication class tonight, I was talking to a friend. My friend said he lived through the times of Dr. King, Malcolm X and others. My friend went on to say that he thought the "kids" of today (students at NSU) don't understand what King and others went through and do not understand that the work of Dr. King, Malcolm X and others is not over -- the dream is not over. I'm not sure I agree with him 100% since many of my students show an interest in and a respect for the past work. What students may not have is a better understanding of King's work, but whose fault is that. If a student doesn't know something, whose fault is that? A teachers, more than likely.

The new King memorial has been in the news recently.  In the news coverage and in classroom discussions we often stress the "I have a dream" speech at the Lincoln Memorial in 1963 with little attention given to King's later work.  This observations is not meant to diminish the very important 1963 speech, but to highlight how King grew and expanded his vision.

Please check out the Mumia Abu-Jamal short video/audio clip and then see the clips of King after 1963.





"Injustice anywhere, is a threat to justice everywhere" (King).

See more at my web site WilliamHartPhD.com.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.
Your comment will be reviewed.
If acceptable, it will be posted after it is carefully reviewed. The review process may take a few minutes or maybe a day or two.